Thursday, October 6, 2011

Life In Prison. Words On Paper Cannot Tell The Entire Story.













I think it might be difficult to read Tim's writing so from now on I'll by typing out what he has written.  I have added some punctuation, but otherwise kept it just as he wrote.


I asked Tim to tell me about his days in prison. I wonder if some people think prison life isn't quite hard enough for inmates. Personally, I cannot imagine the depth of the loneliness.

August 16, 2011

"My days in prison would be like a person bound to their bed.  Each day is about the same.  I work in the kitchen from 7am to 2pm off on Saturdays.  I work on the serving line in one of the 4 chow halls.  when I get off work I come back to my living quarters and sit in the dayroom.  The dayroom has steel benches in front of 2 tvs and 7 tables with stools.  Like a picnic table.  They have ins and outs every hour.  Ins and outs are when you can go in your cell or come out.  The cells have 2 men in them.  I sleep on the top bunk.  We have a sink & toilet a desk and 2 shelves.  They have table games and we have outside rec.  We are under constant watch.  All the time.  Count time is every hour.  We all get counted 2 times every count.  When I'm not working I take a shower and go to the cell.  I read the Bible, write letters, listen to my radio.  From 7am to 2pm I'm working.  From 2pm to 7pm I'm in the cell taking a nap or reading or just thinking.  If you take medicine you have to go the the pill window.  That's a pain.  They call it over a loud speaker.  Everyone gets ready to walk to the pill window.  We all have a picture I.D. that we carry on us all the time.  The picture ID has a magnet strip on the back ran like a credit card.  It will show the pill window lady what pills you take and she will give them to you.  We have no A/C here, that would be to much like home!  We have a commissary that we go to each week.  A copy of the list is enclosed.  I have a fan you must have in the summer, a nightlight with a multi plug.  A radio with headphones.  Hotpot to heat water or heat a meat pack.  A pair of rhino boots.  To have all these things or to make store is nothing because I'm still in prison.  We have a law library for legal work and a regular library for checking out reading books.  We don't have computers at all for inmates.  Breakfast is at 3am, we get nothing like at home.  We get powder milk 'Yuk' - oatmeal or pancakes or both maybe a egg if we are lucky.  Lunch starts at 9:45am.  They serve chicken or chicken patty, a lot of pasta and veggies.  Supper about the same as lunch.  The menu is the same 7 days a week.  I appreciate most where I'm at for my walk with God.  Getting a better foundation in his word and helping other inmates to know Jesus.  No drinking and it feels good not to be drunk.  I face my feelings sober and when I'm afraid or scared I face my feelings sober which is all new and weird.  September 3rd I will have been in this unit for one year.  I do hate it every day.  There is nothing in this place that has meaning.  Nights are hard for me, when sleep comes I never want to wake up.  I've often prayed for God to take me in my sleep.  When I do wake up I thank God for another day and get up one more time to start my day in prison.  I miss my wife everyday.   She comes and visits me 3 times a month.  Weekends are the visits.   We get contact.  She smells so good when she comes.  We get a 2 hr visit.  Life is a gift we all take for granted.  Our 2 hour visit is precious to me.  We get a picture every month.  I should have been dead when I rolled our car because of my drinking.  I was by myself, God had a plan for me.  We do have church here on Sunday mornings.  A plane for my life?  My wife and I are working on my case always looking to God.  Prison isn't a good place.  There is a lot of hate in here.  Whites against Blacks.  Prison is a different world, a lot of gay men, things God says should never be talked about.  I stay to myself a lot.  It's better.  Oh I have men I talk with but nothing to deep.  I've had no problems here.  I'm 6'5" and weigh 255.  I also have God walking with me.  What I hate the most is being away from my wife our home.  Prison is hard if you let it.  I'm using this time to help me.  I'm in AA, I go on Tuesdays from 7pm to 8pm and Thursdays we do work sheets and get involved with the class.  I pray to God every day that I don't die in this place.  I know if I would have died at my wreck I would have gone to Heaven.  I try and keep my mind on God daily and not let worry come in. I will always keep it real when writing to you who read my words.   My life isn't over, I've been lost the day I was born.  I've made it for 45 years still being on this earth.  I'm mad at myself for being here and the pain I've caused my wife and loved ones.  I will never like ths place, I will always hate it.  Somedays I'm like the wind blowing.  It's hard to explain.  I lay in the bunk thinking I need to get out of it, but wonder what for.  I lay back down and thinnk of my home and cry and I try to sleep.  My best time is writing.  Writing about my life is cool.  I pray I may help someone with something.  I will say this life is a bitch and I have traveled down some bad roads in my time and even in prison there are bad roads.  And even when I feel like crap most of the time something keeps me going and I want to find that something and get closer to it every day - "Jesus".
Days are hard.  God bless you all.
Timothy May

No comments:

Post a Comment